MultiMarkdown as CMS

09/29/2009 18:34:37
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

My web site has gone through several iterations, building on blosxom, Oddmuse, and then Movable Type.

As I tried different CMS systems, however, I found that I was intentionally using fewer and fewer features. Instead I was writing a couple of modules myself to add the basic features I needed (primarily MultiMarkdown support).

I finally realized that my Movable Type installation was doing little more than putting a wrapper around my content so that it would look nice, and organizing the entries by calendar month.

When I wanted to update a page, however, I had log into Movable Type, find the right entry, copy the content to a real text editor, edit, copy back, publish the page, and verify. It was fairly cumbersome.

It then occurred to me that I could do this with MultiMarkdown itself. I wrote an XSLT file to put a few SSI commands around my content, and then built a few basic templates that are called in these commands to ensure that every page has the same header, sidebar, and footer.

I wrote a quick perl script to update the calendar archives, put the whole thing in a git repository, and now I can update my web site by pushing to my server.

A side effect is that I had to remove all reliance on cgi for the main site. I previously used MT’s search feature. But it wasn’t actually that good, and now I use a Google Custom Search Engine that is much better and faster.

I can use TextMate to modify multiple pages in my site at once, or to quickly search for any content I want.

The only thing I am really missing at the moment is comments. I am looking for an appropriate solution to allow blending comments with a static site so that I can reinstate that feature.

We’ll see how this goes, but I’m excited.

[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]